The Society for Archaeological Sciences is a professional society for those involved and interested in physical and natural science applications in archaeology, paleoanthropology. and art conservation. By joining, you can benefit from our network of diverse scientists, and support the infrastructure of this interdisciplinary endeavor.
Our goals are to:
- establish forums for the discussion of current issues in archaeological science;
- inform archaeologists, anthropologists, and other professionals about the potential application of techniques adopted from the physical and natural sciences;
- encourage research, presentation, and publication on archaeological science topics;
- cooperate with other archaeological, anthropological, and archaeometric associations and societies to further our common interests.
We can best accomplish these goals with the membership and active involvement of professionals, students, and interested citizens.
- ADVANCE YOUR RESEARCH: Student and early career members are eligible for the SAS Research Support Award
(up to USD $500; two cycles per year and up to three awards granted per cycle).
- GET RECOGNIZED: Student poster awards (up to USD $200) at the SAA, ISA, and other conferences.
- BECOME A LEADER FOR THE NEXT GENERATION: The SAS Student Ambassador program offers an opportunity for students to plan and carry out events and promote archaeological sciences.
- PROMOTE YOUR RESEARCH: All SAS members can leverage our social media network to showcase their latest
publication to an engaged international audience through the SAS Spotlight program. SAS also seeks to recognize excellence in research by young professionals with the SAS and Journal of Archaeological Science (JAS) Emerging Investigator Award. The winning article will be given free access for a year in JAS and the lead author will be awarded US$500.
- KEEP UPDATED: The latest archaeological science news are published online in a timely manner and are then summarized in quarterly SAS Bulletin.
- CONNECT TO THE WORLD: SAS provides multiple social media channels, including SAS Facebook group and page, SASnet listserv, and LinkedIn group, with opportunities for members to develop new outreach and communications strategies.
- ACCESS INFORMATION: 18 months of free access to the SAS-sponsored Encyclopedia of Archaeological
Sciences (which retails for US$875) & discounted rates for journal subscriptions (Journal of Archaeological Science, Archaeometry, and Archaeological and Anthropological Sciences).
- NETWORK WITH THE RIGHT PROFESSIONALS: SAS partners with the biennial International Symposium on Archaeometry (ISA), the annual meeting of the Federation of Analytical Chemistry and Spectroscopy
Societies (FACSS), the annual meeting of the Society for American Archaeology (SAA), and more to promote or co-sponsor archaeological science networking opportunities.